Wednesday, February 20, 2013

News Article: Why Women's Eggs Don't Last

A human oocyte.FLICKR, ED UTHMAN

It's late and I'm tired, but I've been meaning to post about this since last week. My BFF sent it to me the same day we got our twins u/s report and I wasn't ready to share our news with him yet. Will have to have a talk with him at sometime to explain "timing" and how it relates to "appropriateness", but fortunately our u/s went well. Anyhow - since I wasn't in anguish over my old-ass eggs that day, I was able to read the article as it was intended.

The article is a very interesting read regarding how egg quality declines as women age. Too tired to go into my analysis of it so I will just give you the link outright. :-)

http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/34375/title/Why-Women-s-Eggs-Don-t-Last/

This really doesn't help me that much because of my age, but I do think it has great potential for others 10+ years from now, with a hope of pharmaceutical help to all ages of women. That would be freaking fantastic. 

5 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great if there was a magic pill we could take that would help our eggs? I'd be all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I hope they find a treatment that can help the next generation of women with egg problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a way around this now, with new technology to freeze eggs. Hopefully it becomes better and better over time and easier to do. Egg freezing costs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg freezing isn't really a "way around this". Egg Freezing is for people looking to the future before they have a problem.

      The cost and invasiveness still makes it extremely prohibitive for many. Many women won't even get tested until they are ready to work on getting pregnant, much less years before they may have even met there mate. Once the problem is there, then egg freezing doesn't really help.

      The interesting part of this article is that is show potential for medication when you find out "too late" about poor ovarian reserve issues. Which really can happen at any age.

      Delete

I LOVE comments - feel free to join in!
Unless you are a spammer and hawking your wares. Then you will be booted immediately.